Sunday Service 25 Feb 2018: GIVE THANKS
Every day we must ask ourselves, ” What good has God done for me?” See everything around us to help us stay in thankfulness. Giving thanks will make our heart gentle. Being grateful is something that won’t die and end up easily, but continued for our whole life, and strengthen us.
Having faith, consistency, wisdom, brotherly love and gratefulness, are the tools that are needed to build us a strong soldier in this end times.
It is Lord Jesus Himself who taught us to give thanks
Matthew 26:26-27 (NKJV) And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, blessed and broke it, and gave it to the disciples and said, “Take, eat; this is My body.” Then He took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you.”
Jesus began His suffering by giving thanks first. Before he entered into His suffering path to the Cross, He gave thanks. Jesus knew that He would shed His blood to redeem our sins and took us from the devil. Jesus got men as the exchange for His redemption. The secret of His thankfulness was seeing God’s will in His life. Who is our Teacher to give thanks? Jesus.
If we give thanks because of getting fortune is normal. Giving thanks is not a light thanksgiving attitude. In Christianity giving thanks is a continuing heart that will go on and on until we get into heaven.
1 Thessalonians 5:18 (NKJV) in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
Giving thanks must be done continually and never end up.
Psalms 103:1-5 (NKJV) Bless the Lord, O my soul; And all that is within me, bless His holy name! Bless the Lord, O my soul, And forget not all His benefits: Who forgives all your iniquities, Who heals all your diseases, Who redeems your life from destruction, Who crowns you with lovingkindness and tender mercies, Who satisfies your mouth with good things, So that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s.
Points that have to be in our mind to give thanks:
He forgave all our sins with His blood, cleaned us and washed our sins. We were healed and redeemed.
We are crowned with lovingkindness and tender mercies and He gave what we desire. He made us fly like a strong eagle. An eagle will face a storm but he will fly higher
These points should become more alive and we must go through it every day.
The result of giving thanks:
1. We will enter into a step of praising the Lord with our all heart and without any determination. This becomes a habit, automatically become our life. We can see good things and will give thanks even though problems came up. By giving thanks continually we will have a happy face
2. Giving thanks will make us happy and make our faith grow. On the other hand, we will lose our faith when we don’t give thanks.
3. Our hearts will love the Lord. Lord, I have loved the habitation of Your house, And the place where Your glory dwells. (Psalm 26:8)
When we give thanks, our hearts will testify more and more that God is good. It is not only our mind but also our heart and that make us strong.
4. We become strong in the Lord
5. But having negative thinking will make us unhappy and distressed.
6. We become a sincere and humble person. Our hearts will abound with all kinds of goodness.
Colossians 2 :7 (NKJV) “rooted and built up in Him and established in the faith, as you have been taught, abounding in it with thanksgiving.”
Give thanks continually that God is present. How to have our faith growing and more in loving the Lord? One thing only, give thanks!
So many times we don’t give thanks for things that actually are very great. Give thanks for very small things,
What will happen if we rarely give thanks or just give thanks only for what we want?
We will get difficulty to grow, we will have a stony heart, and unable to focus when we are hearing the Word of God.
To become strong we have to give thanks but if we don’t give thanks the results were:
1. We will easily complain and grumbling, losing logical thinking and willing to get difficulty.
2. We will focus on ourselves and not God, become self-centered, find difficulty to praise the Lord. Because giving thanks is put God as our God.
3. Our faith becomes fail because we start to see everything realistically. We only see what is in front of our eyes. Difficult to see that everything happened with the help of the Lord and it is a miracle. Realistic people don’t have faith because have their own mind and ways.
4. Being self-centered has made us very realistic and turned out to have no faith in the Holy Spirit. It is a great sin as we had denied God in our life. There is no God. In fact, it is only by the presence of the Holy Spirit that we can live and without HIM we cannot live by ourselves.
5. Loving ourselves so much and loving our mind.
6. Become weak, poor of love.
7. Always expect something in return, being not merciful.
What can bring us to give thanks?
1. Meditate the Word of God and see the goodness of the Lord and not because of what we receive.
2. See everything around us, the nature around us and apply them to ourselves to give thanks.
Say thanks that it is not flooded; that you are healthy and not sick
3. Trying to be in the shoes of others’ sicknesses or problems. Give thanks for yourself. Anything about you.
4. Trust our future in the Lord. Nevertheless, we will be busy only with ourselves and cannot see our future in the Lord. Focus in the heaven, what are we going to see and find there.
5. See our life as a result of God’s intervention.
The key to our faith grow is giving thanks. This life is so wonderful if we know how to give thanks